CMFA Parent, Player, Coach CODE OF CONDUCT
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these "six pillars of character."
I therefore agree:
1. I will not force a child to participate in sports.
2. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
3. I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of a child or the safety of others.
4. I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
5. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for all children and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
6. I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
7. I will not encourage any behaviours or practices that would endanger the health and wellbeing of the athletes.
8. I will teach all children to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
9. I will demand that all children treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
10. I will teach all children that doing one's best is more important than winning, so that all children will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
11. I will praise all children for competing fairly and trying hard, and make all children feel like a winner every time.
12. I will never ridicule or yell at a child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
13. I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit all children over winning. I will also deemphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
14. I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child’s team to win.
15. I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
16. I will demand a sports environment for all children that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
17. I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to the following:
- Verbal warning by official, head coach, and/or head of league organization
- Written warning
- Game suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file by organizations involved
- Game forfeit through the official or coach
- Parental, Player or Coaching season suspension or Life time ban.
Parent/Guardian Signature _____________________________________________________________
A format in Microsoft Word is available here.